Red Snapper Crudo with Sudachi Granita
- 2 six oz American red snapper fillets
- 1/2 cup homemade ponzu (See recipe) bottled ponzu will work just fine
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed sudachi juice (bottled if fresh not available)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp extremely fine sliced scallion
- 1 tsp finely diced jalapeño
Granita: (minimum prep time 2 hours prior to serving, can be made days in advance if desired)
Combine ponzu, sudachi, red pepper, scallion, and jalapeño and pour into a rectangular casserole dish. Cover and place in freezer for 1/2 hour. When your granita starts to freeze rake it with a fork to make it “slushy”. Place back in freezer and repeat every 1/2 hour until frozen chunky crystals become solid. Reserve covered in freezer until ready to serve.
Slice snapper into thin 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick slices and place in a fan on appetizer size plates with frisee or other petite lettuce. Using two teaspoons or a small ice cream scoop, scoop out a tsp of granita directly onto the center of sliced snapper.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and thinly sliced jalapeño.