Seared Ahi Tuna w/ Ponzu and Serrano Peppers
- 4 eight oz Ahi Tuna Steaks
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 small Serrano peppers, sliced paper thin
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Juice of one Yuzu ( Reserve 1 tsp of grated rind) or 2 tbsp bottled Yuzu juice if fresh not available
- 4 tbsp Tamari sauce
With highest grade quality of seasonally caught tuna, Seared Ahi Tuna is simple and delectable dish to make sushi at home.
- Combine Yuzu juice and Tamari and reserve. If Yuzu is not available, any good quality ponzu sauce will work. Add sesame oil just prior to serving.
- Blot tuna dry with pepper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Coat bottom of heavy skillet of cast iron pan with 1 tbsp canola oil and place on high heat.
- Sear tuna in a very hot pan for 30 seconds and then turn to sear the other side for an additional 30 seconds. Immediately remove from the pan and place on a cool plate.
- Let rest for two or three minutes.
- Divide each tuna steak into two and then slice 1/4 inch thin. arrange on a serving plate. Spoon over ponzu sauce and top with Serrano peppers and cilantro leaves.
Yields 4 servings. Make sure to follow @FishFinery on instagram for featured dishes and more delicious recipes!